Since experiencing this aha moment in Manhattan, I have searched for the perfect Cosmopolitan recipe. I had been unsuccessful until I found Ina Garten's recipe for a Pomegranate Cosmopolitan and followed it as written. Pause for reaction. For those who know me well, I am terrible about leaving out ingredients and substituting.
Recipe by Ina Garten, © Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics
• 2 cups good vodka (recommended: Grey Goose or Finlandia)
• 1 cup orange liqueur (recommended: Cointreau)
• 1 cup cranberry juice cocktail, (recommended: Ocean Spray)
• 1/2 cup bottled pomegranate juice (recommended: Pom Wonderful)
• 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (4 limes)
• Thinly sliced limes, for garnish
Combine the vodka, orange liqueur, cranberry juice, pomegranate juice, and lime juice in a large pitcher. Fill a cocktail shaker half full with ice, pour the cocktail mixture in, and shake for a full 30 seconds. Pour into martini glasses, garnish with a slice of lime, and serve immediately.
Note: You must shake it in a cocktail shaker and you must serve it in a martini glass!
“I like to have a martini, two at the very most. After three I'm under the table, after four I'm under my host” ~ Dorothy Parker (Thanks for reminding me of this quote, Jim. It made me smile.)